Do you like . . .

True stories from Wyoming’s past?

Human interest and good humor?

Told by an old guy who was there and knows a word or two?

Ok, let’s do it.

Wyoming history, Don M. Ricks' perspective

I grew up among people who grew up among pioneers going back into the 1800s.

I’m a story teller but also a historian. I research the context of my remembrances. I’ve been known to heighten but never fabricate. Not even to get a laugh.

Blog closed Nov. 2017. Lots of good stories are waiting in the archives.

The sequel is "The Big Kid from Wyoming Takes on the World" found at: wyomingtakesontheworld.net.

Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Cheney Shows Me How to Compete



For years afterwards newly met Wyomingites would say, “Don Ricks? You’re from Riverton, right?” The name recognition was puzzling. True, I had played football for the University of Wyoming, and on a memorable team, undefeated and nationally ranked. But my role was nearly anonymous. I was an interior lineman and played only that one season, as a sophomore. My promotion from fourth string was a last minute act of coaching desperation; a more experienced player cracked his sternum bumping while warming up for the first game of the season. I played in all 40 quarters, but that was inevitable. Complicated substitution rules, soon to be rescinded, forced coaches to go three deep every period.

Eventually a former University insider spilled the beans. My apparent fame resulted from a conspiracy. Larry Burleffi, the radio announcer, was known as the Voice of the Cowboys for forty years. Roy Peck, publisher of The Riverton Ranger, served on the University Board of Trustees in the ‘50s. After a board meeting Roy took Larry aside to make two requests. When broadcasting football games Larry should say Ricks at every opportunity. And whenever he said Ricks he should say Riverton. Alliteration took over from there.



(U of W Athletic Dept.)

40: Jim Crawford from Greybull, All American running back and NCAA rushing yardage leader in 1956. He played several seasons in the NFL for the Boston Patriots.



78: Dale Memmelaar, who later blocked for both Jim Brown and Johnny Unitas during a nine year NFL career.


1956 University of Wyoming Football Team
Me, 74, middle of the picture.
(U of W Athletic Dept.)






How much money will you need?


Though Sports Illustrated didn’t pick up the story, there was a bit of a stir when I gave up my scholarship the following spring. People knew what to say at funerals; but they had no precedents for voluntary team leaving. My grandfather must have been deeply disappointed. He had season tickets and drove 285 miles for every home game. But all he said was, “Let me know how much money you’ll need.” Some in the community were critical, feeling I’d betrayed the old home town. They were fond of that Ricks from Riverton gimmick apparently. On campus some students muttered that only quitters quit. Most said “He did?” and soon forgot I ever played.

The decision felt right and was surprisingly easy to make. Playing on another undefeated, nationally ranked team was unlikely; besides, I did that last season. I would never be selected All Anything. With two more years of eligibility I might aspire to start; but 196 pound tackles were not in great demand. Besides, a professor in the Journalism Dept. had suggested I apply to edit the yearbook. And besides, playing football wasn’t that rewarding anymore.

Cheney


Years afterward the recollection of a sports incident during high school gave me deeper insight into my departure from university football. Cheney was my opponent that day. I don’t mean Lynne Cheney of course. Our paths did cross; she and I attended the same grade school in Casper for a few months. But she was just a little kid and not even a Cheney yet. Dick was a little kid at some other school in Casper; nobody knew who he was. I’m speaking of Tom Cheney, Dick’s older cousin, a star athlete in Worland.

Although Tom and I played football against each other, we didn't face off on the basketball court. My high school basketball career consisted of three seasons playing in the preliminary game. Then I'd shower quickly and hurry into the stands to play the saxophone during the varsity game. Coach Rohn said I was the best defensive tackle on the basketball B squad.

Dennis Krueger gets the mumps


The incident I'm recalling occurred at a track meet. Tom Cheney and I competed head-to-head in the shot put. By our junior year two events had been sorted out at meets in the Big Horn Basin. Dennis Krueger from Cody would take gold in the discus; I would take silver. (Except for the year I was state champion because Dennis came down with the mumps.) In the shot put Dennis won, Tom was always second, and I placed third.

Then one spring at the conference championships I was feeling good, got well into the shot, and set a new school record. I was so elated I barely noticed when the official planted my marker in second place. But Tom noticed. He shouldered me aside as I stepped out of the ring, set himself quickly, and took back second place.

Tom, being a Cheney, competed to win, to defeat his opponent. I understand now I am a self-competitor, someone who strives to achieve his personal best. Just as making my best shot put distance was my goal at that high school track meet, making the football team was my goal when I enrolled at Wyoming. That had been accomplished. After two years of schooling, different goals were beckoning. 


The 1954 Riverton H. S. team that took third place at the State Track Meet 
by winning all four of its events. Don Ricks, discus; 
Jay Chrisler, LeRoy Sinner, [unknown], and Jim Bishop, 440 relay; 
Bishop also won the 100 yard dash; Ray Laue, mile.
 (Riverton Ranger)










NEXT POST:
What Tie Hacks Did on Saturday Night
Dad Rides a Bronc, Full of it




            

No comments:

Post a Comment